In the Foreclosure Process or Recovering from Foreclosure
If you are in the foreclosure process or recovering from foreclosure, consider these steps:
- Stop – Contact a HUD-certified housing counselor immediately to determine if there are steps you can take to stop the process.
- Recovery Plan – Contact a non-profit credit counselor to help you evaluate the effect on your credit and to create a plan to recover.
- Budgeting – Careful money management and a “crisis budget” can help while you are working out a solution.
- Community Resources - Call 2-1-1 or your local United Way office to identify community resources available for assistance while you are seeking solution.
No matter which choice you make, be careful to avoid fraud. Many of the advertised credit repair or foreclosure assistance companies are fraudulent or are actually bankruptcy assistance firms. Here's how to avoid fraud:
- Never pay a fee up front.
- Never make your payments to anyone other than your servicer.
- Never sign over the deed to your home.